Wednesday 22 February 2012

The cheesy snack by Cadbury's

In the mid 1980s I remember my Mum sometimes buying the Cheesy Criss Cross snack, which was made by Cadbury's, a firm I had always previously associated with chocolate.

The Cheesy Criss Cross consisted of two crispy, wafer-y lattice strips filled with a creamy, cheese paste. I loved them, but sadly they weren't available for very long, and vanished from the shops a relatively short time after they had been introduced.

I normally can't stand cheese-flavoured biscuits but the Cheesy Criss Cross was something else!

6 comments:

  1. I almost retched when I read this thinking I had consigned the memory of this powdered-milk-based nightmare to 80's history..thanks for bringing it up again (*almost* literally) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this is an old post, but I just saw it right now. I loved these snacks! I haven't been able to find any trace of them since my childhood, and to be honest, I thought they were just a figment of my imagination. I'm glad someone else remembers them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo can find the same cheese in a Tuc biscuit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree, it was a similar cheese filling but the recipe was totally different. TUC was produced by United Biscuits of McVitie fame, the other was made by Cadbury Schweppes and I was involved in the development.

      Delete
  4. I was involved in the development of this product. It started in the Lab at Bournville, was then transferred to the Moreton biscuit factory and launched in a test market area, originally in the Granada tv region. It was a total success and sold out everywhere. The board then decided to test it in a smaller tv area, southwest.
    Again it was a success and then the bean counters started to crunch numbers and found that to launch nationwide a £12 million investment would be needed at a time the main board was considering the sale of the Tea and Foods division which resulted in a management buy out and the formation of Premier Brands. Needless to say the investment was never approved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They need to bring cheesy criss-cross back a retro great

    ReplyDelete